If you are facing a Windows Print Screen not working issue on your computer and don’t know how to fix it, then this article will help you with some solutions to do so.
Sometimes, you might need to take a screenshot of your desktop. Windows 10 has a function called “Print Screen” through which you can share bits of your digital life. But a lot of Windows users have trouble with the Print Screen button not working. Users are frustrated because they can’t take screenshots or send them to other people.
If you are also having this problem, this article goes into detail about what you can do to fix the Windows Print Screen not working problem. Bring back the ability to take screenshots and share them with anyone online. But first, let’s take a look at some of the most common reasons why this mistake happens.
Common Reasons Behind Windows Print Screen Not Working Error
Here are some reasons that can cause the screenshot not working Windows 10 issue:
- The Print Screen key is disabled
- Background apps restricting the action
- Keyboard drivers are corrupted
- Outdated Windows OS
As you have looked at the cause behind my print screen is not working problem, it is time to check out the solutions to get rid of it.
Different Methods To Fix The Windows Print Screen Not Working Issue
Below are some solutions that will help you get rid of the Print Screen button not working issue on your Windows device.
Solution1: Enable The Print Screen Button From Settings
There might be a chance that your print screen button is disabled automatically. If that is the case, then you need to check the settings and re-enable it. Below are some steps that will help you enable the button in order to solve the Windows print screen not working problem.
- Type Settings in the taskbar’s search bar and then hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
- On the Settings window, select the “Ease of Access” settings by clicking on it.
- Choose the Keyboard tab from the left-side panel
- Then, on the right-side panel, Turn ON the toggle switch under the “Print Screen shortcut”.
After enabling the Print Screen shortcut, check if you are still facing my Print Screen is not working issue. If yes, then move on to the next solution mentioned below.
Solution2: Close The Background Apps
Many background programs, like Dropbox, Snippet tool, OneDrive, etc., can take over the Print Screen function and restrict you to take screenshots on your computer. You can fix the Print Screen button not working problem by changing the settings of these apps. But for ease of use, we suggest you close these apps one by one, as shown below:
- Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys simultaneously on your keyboard
- On the Task Manager window, select the Processes tab from the top. Then, scroll down and look for the OneDrive app, right-click on the app, and select the End task option from the list.
- Follow the same instructions to close other apps also. This will stop the application from running in the background and will fix your Print Screen not working issue on Windows 10/11 devices.
Solution3: Update Keyboard Drivers And Fix the Print Screen Not Working Issue
Outdated, missing, faulty, broken, or corrupted drivers usually create issues like the Print Screen button not working. In order to avoid such troubles in the future, we would recommend you always keep your drivers up to date. Updated drivers will also help your computer to improve its compatibility with the connected devices. Additionally, it will enhance your system’s overall performance as it will work more efficiently.
There are majorly two methods to update your Windows drivers. The first one is a manual method where you need to take the help of the Device Manager tool, which is a Windows-integrated utility. Whereas, for the second one you have to download the best and most reliable software to update your drivers automatically. Below we have shared both methods with some directory steps to help you fix the Print Screen not working problem.
Update Your Keyboard Driver Manually
Check out the instructions below in order to get rid of the Print Screen not working on Windows 10 issue.
- Search File Explorer in the taskbar’s search bar and then hit the Enter key on your keyboard
- On the Device Manager window, click once on the arrow icon next to the Keyboard option to expand it. Then, right-click on the Keyboard driver that you are using and select the Update driver option from the list.
- A pop-up window will be displayed on your screen, choose the “Search automatically for drivers” option.
- Wait for a few seconds (depending on your internet speed), then follow the on-screen instructions to install the new keyboard drivers. After installing the drivers, Restart your computer and it will automatically replace the old drivers with the new ones and fix the Print Screen button not working error.
Update Your Keyboard Driver Automatically
As discussed above, in this automated process, you need to download the best driver update app available in the market like the Bit Driver Updater app. This software is specially designed for Windows devices and is trusted by thousands of users. Using this app will make the driver updating process easier for you as it is loaded with various features. Some of the other pros of using the Bit Driver Updater app on your Windows device are below:
- Only downloads WHQL-certified drivers
- Offers you to schedule the update process
- Improves computer performance
- Updates all drivers with just one click
- Has 24×7 customer service available for the users
Now, it’s time to look at the steps in order to download, install, and use this app to fix the Print Screen button not working. S
- To download the Bit Driver Updater software, click on the link below:
- Once the application has been downloaded, visit the Download folder and open the setup file. Then, follow the on-screen steps to install it.
- Launch the Bit Driver Updater and then click on the Scan Drivers button present in the middle of the page. This will allow the app to search for outdated drivers.
- Now, you can either click on the Update All button and it will update all the drivers at the same time, or else click on the Update Now button next to the Keyboard driver.
After updating the keyboard driver, Reboot your computer and check if the Print Screen button not working problem is resolved or not. If not, then move on to the next method below.
Solution4: Run The Windows Troubleshooter
Windows troubleshooter is an in-built tool that is very useful to find and fix most of the problems or errors including the Print Screen not working. This tool fixes problems with your keyboard, printer, Windows store apps, Bluetooth, etc. Windows has had troubleshooters for a long time, and you can easily access it from your Windows Settings. Here are some steps that will show you how to use this tool to fix this issue on Windows devices.
- Type Settings in the taskbar’s search bar and then press the Enter key
- On the settings window, select the Update & Security option
- Now, select the Troubleshoot tab from the left-side panel. And then, click on the Additional troubleshooter’s button on the right-side panel.
- Under the “Find and fix other problems” heading, expand the Keyboard section by clicking on it. Then, click on the Run the troubleshooter button and this will start the troubleshooting process.
- Wait for a few moments and let your computer search for the cause, then follow the on-screen instructions to fix the issue.
After fixing the Print Screen button not working issue, Restart your computer and you are good to go.
Resolved: How To Fix Print Screen Not Working Issue On Windows
We hope the solutions shared above have helped you fix the Print Screen not working error. If you are still facing the same problem, then try connecting your keyboard to a different device. Or else, take your keyboard to a repair shop to check for physical damages and some professional advice. Apart from that, if you have any questions or suggestions regarding this post, share them with us in the comments section below. Also, click on the Subscribe button to read more problem-fixing guides like this on our Free Driver Updater blog.
Snehil Masih is a professional technical writer. He is passionate about new & emerging technology and he keeps abreast with the latest technology trends. When not writing, Snehil is likely to be found listening to music, painting, traveling, or simply excavating into his favourite cuisines.