Is your APEX voice chat not working? Apex Legends gamers have reported encountering issues with the in-game voice chat feature. Most of the Xbox consoles have repeatedly complained about the same. It has become a matter of concern as good communication through voice chat is essential to win a game.
Not just consoles, the APEX Legends voice chat not working issue is being experienced on PCs as well. The impacted users cannot hear the voices of their fellow players, nor have their voices recorded. This can be frustrating as you can not communicate with your squad to plan on instructions, point enemy locations, or show available loot. But, if you fix the APEX voice chat not working, you can restore your wonderful gaming experience.
Thus, this guide is for you if you are one of the affected users with the same issue. We will discuss several remedies in this article to restore and fix the APEX game chat not working error.
Users of PCs can apply the most appropriate method, while Xbox console users can apply others. Before we break down the possible solutions, let’s try to understand the scenarios and causes behind the APEX Legends voice chat not working issue.
Possible Causes Behind APEX Voice Chat Not Working
All Xbox consoles have been experiencing this issue for a significant period. Players of Xbox Series X or Xbox One may face it. Following several reports from Apex Legends players facing APEX voice chat not working, an extensive examination of the issue points towards a list of the below given potential causes:
- Bugs or controller issues may prevent the voice chat from working and could be the root of the APEX game chat not working. You can resolve this by turning off the controller in Apex Legends and then reconnecting it fast.
- MAC address error may be brought on by some connectivity problems that prevent the voice chat feature from functioning properly. You must first clear the MAC address in the Network settings of your Xbox console before rebooting it to resolve this.
- Outdated microphone drivers may also make you witness this issue. Though most people may take it for granted, it is advisable to update your mic drivers if your APEX chat is not working.
- Updates to your controller’s firmware may be missing as they are not automatically installed, which is another possible reason for your APEX voice chat not working. You only need to upgrade the controller to the most recent version available by navigating the settings menu on your controller.
- In some cases, you might anticipate that the APEX chat not working problem may arise due to the cache problems that your Xbox console has developed over time. In this instance, a soft or hard reboot should be able to resolve the issue.
- If you’re struggling to use voice chat in Apex Legends, your sound may be corrupted, which might be the root of the problem. By making the game use your microphone and audio, you can resolve this. Start a party session by opening the Multiplayer area of the Xbox help menu, then complete it.
Now that you know the potential reasons, let’s move on to the list of all the methods that could help you fix the APEX voice chat not working issue.
How to Fix APEX Legends Voice Chat Not Working
After you analyze the possible cause behind your chat not working, you can pick and implement the most suitable method from the list of solutions given below.
Method 1: Switch off your controller and then switch it back on.
If this is the cause behind your APEX voice chat not working, then we have the easiest solution for you. You simply have to switch off the controller while playing and then switch it on quickly. It may look too good to be true, but this simple trick has resolved the issue for many players.
Although there is no formal justification for why this works, community users who have successfully applied the update assume that it resets the VoIP capability, re-establishing the game audio between you and the other game attendees.
To implement this fix, follow the steps below if you’re searching for more detailed instructions:
- Plug your microphone into the controller while you are inside a match.
- The ‘What would you like to do?’ list will then appear after holding the Xbox button for a short while. You must now decide whether to turn off the controller.
- Wait a few seconds after turning off the controller before turning it back on.
- Your voice chat within the game should function once you’re done with that.
If the APEX voice chat not working issue is not resolved even after this, then you can try the next method.
Method 2: Clear the MAC address
The next thing you can do to resolve the APEX voice chat not working issue is the prevention of your console from utilizing irregular network data by clearing the MAC address since that is the most typical circumstance that leads to such a problem. A Network Interface Controller (NIC) is given a specific identification number called a MAC address. Its major objective is communicating with other network users using a network address. Go to the specialized menu in the Network Settings of your Xbox Console and clear the MAC address. The voice chat in the game ought to function after your console restarts. Here are the steps if you need help clearing the MAC address:
- Get into the guide section through your controller by pressing the Xbox button. Then open Settings, and choose All settings.
- When you enter the settings, scroll down to locate Network, then choose Network settings from the right.
- Once you’ve finished, pick the Alternate Wired MAC address under Advanced options. You must now select Clear.
- The modifications won’t take effect until restarting your console. Choose Restart, then wait for the Xbox to turn back on.
- Launch Apex Legends after turning the console back on to check if the voice chat is working.
Check the following approach if the APEX voice chat not working error still persists on your console.
Method 3: Update the Firmware of Your Controller.
You may also blame your outdated controller for the APEX voice chat problem. Updates for Xbox controllers are occasionally released, but you must manually initiate the updates for them to take effect. Thankfully, you can use your Xbox settings to install them. If you keep receiving alerts about an upcoming update of your controller and decide to ignore them, this strategy will probably work. If you’re not utilizing the most recent controller firmware, you may affect the VoIP capability of the controller (this is highly possible if you’re having similar problems with games other than Apex Legends). Here is how to update your Xbox controller if this solution applies to your problem:
- Navigate to your Xbox console’s settings.
- Once you are in the Settings menu, select Accessories under Devices & Connections.
- Find the three dots button in the Xbox Accessories menu, click it, and then choose the Firmware version. (You may notice ‘New Update Available’)
- Select Update Now to begin the procedure after that. The Xbox will check for updates and install them if updates are available.
- It could take this process up to five minutes. Launch Apex Legends after the controller has been updated to check if the voice chat problem is still there.
Method 4: Update Your Microphone Drivers
Outdated microphone drivers may also give rise to the APEX voice chat not working issue. In your PC settings, check if your drivers are updated. If not, you need to follow these simple steps to update your microphone drivers instantly.
- First, select Device Manager by pressing Win+X.
- Expand the category for audio inputs and outputs now.
- Next, right-click on the microphone device that you just selected.
- Then, select Update driver and follow the on-screen instructions to finish the procedure.
- Once finished, restart your computer and then launch the game to see if the problem has been fixed.
If you need further assistance updating your drivers, you can count on Bit Driver Updater. Download it now from the below button to resolve all your driver-related queries.
However, if your driver is running fine, you may look at other solutions to fix the APEX voice chat not working issue.
Method 5: Xbox Console Soft and Hard Reboot
Another way to fix the APEX voice chat not working issue is to conduct a soft reboot on your Xbox, and if that doesn’t work, try a hard reboot. For several players, this technique has resolved the problem.
When the VoIP inconsistency in Apex Legends is caused by a cache problem impacting your Xbox One or Xbox Series X version, this solution is said to work well.
Since a soft reboot will be quicker, you can try it first. Either click the Xbox button on the console to turn it off, then press it again to turn it back on, or you can reset the Xbox console this way.
In addition, you can open the ‘What do you want to do?’ menu on your controller by holding down the Xbox button. Choose Restart console from the menu.
Try a hard reset if that doesn’t work- To do this, press and hold the Xbox button on the console for around 10 seconds until it closes down.
After then, detach the console’s power cable for at least 10 seconds before reconnecting it.
Now switch on the console and start the game to test if the voice chat in Apex Legends is still broken.
Method 6: Start a Party Session to Fix the Corrupted Sound in the Voice Chat.
Some players have also been able to fix the Apex legends voice chat not working issue by starting a private chat session when they were experiencing it in-game. If you are going for this solution, you must finish the private session to activate voice chat in Apex Legends because doing so will turn on your sound inside the game.
This approach is also advisable for other video games outside Apex Legends. While playing the game, you must create a new party using the Multiplayer option before closing the menu.
The instructions for starting and ending a private chat session to implement this patch are provided below:
- Press the Xbox button and select the Multiplayer area while playing Apex Legends. You will see your mic indicator displays a speaker.
- Next, choose to Start a party to launch a private chat session after that.
- Close the Multiplayer menu after the party has been created, then return to the game.
- Wait for the native VoIP functionality of Apex Legends to function, and navigate through the lobby menu.
- Push the Xbox button immediately to access the Multiplayer section.
- To end the party session, choose your party. There you can find the option to Leave. Click on leave party.
- The voice chat in Apex Legends should finally be functional.
So, which method do you think will fix the APEX voice chat not working issue for your system? Go through all the methods to select the right solution. Do not forget to leave your feedback in the comments section below!
Snehil Masih is a professional technical writer. He is passionate about new & emerging technology and he keeps abreast with the latest technology trends. When not writing, Snehil is likely to be found listening to music, painting, traveling, or simply excavating into his favourite cuisines.