Are you facing difficulties with your Discord app as your mic not working on Discord? If yes, then read this article and implement the different methods shared to fix this issue.
For a few years, gamers mostly use Discord as their main VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) service. It has become more and more popular, which shows how easy it is to use. The app development team behind this app has done a great job in releasing new updates with bug fixes.
There are still a few bugs that have not been fixed yet, and they could be caused by a number of things outside of the program. “Discord mic not working Windows 10” is a common problem that many users have had more than once.
Because of this error, you often hear from your friends but can’t talk back. This can be very frustrating because it seems to happen out of the blue. The mic not working on Discord issue generally arises on its offline app for computers as compared to the online app. Today, we are going to show you some tips and tricks that you can practice in order to resolve this issue.
Try These Solutions In Order To Fix Mic Not Working On Discord
We have all had problems with our Discord mic not working. In this article, we will give you a few methods with directory steps to try and fix your mic issues in Discord.
Solution1: Reset Your Discord Voice Setting To Fix Mic Not Working On Discord
If you are facing the discord mic not working properly, you might need to reset the voice settings, which could be the problem. Follow the steps below to reset the Discord mic settings on your Windows device.
- Launch the Discord App on your computer
- Open the Discord Settings
- Then, select the Voice & Video option present on the left side panel
- Click on the Reset Voice Settings button at the bottom of the page and your voice settings will be reset.
After resetting the settings, check if the discord mic not working Windows 10 is resolved. If not, then move on to the next solution.
Also know: How to Fix Skype Microphone Not Working in Windows 10, 11
Solution2: Change The Microphone Settings And Solve Mic Not Working On the Discord Issue
Several users have been able to fix the problem of their Discord mic not working on Windows 10 by giving access to the microphone. Access to the microphone can sometimes be blocked by the privacy settings. Due to this microphone access to all apps gets turned off.
Therefore, you need to give permission for the Discord app to use your microphone. If this is your first time using Discord, follow the steps below to give access and to fix the discord mic not working on Windows 10.
- Type Settings in the taskbar’s search bar and then press the Enter key on your keyboard
- On the Settings window, select the Privacy settings option
- Now, select the Microphone tab present on the left-hand side panel.
- Then, Under the “Allow apps to access your microphone” heading, Turn ON the toggle switch.
- Again turn ON the toggle switch in front of the Discord application. You can find it under the “Choose which Microsoft Store apps can access your microphone” heading.
After finishing the process, launch the Discord program and see if the mic not working on the Discord Windows 10 issue is resolved.
Solution3: Turn OFF The Exclusive Mode To Fix The Mic Not Working On the Discord Issue
Windows devices have the exclusive mode turned on by default. This means that if an app asks for full access to the sound card, no other app can use the microphone but the one that asked for full access. This can lead to the mic not working on Discord issues.
Hence, if you have another app that can use your mic and you have turned on the exclusive mode, the Discord mic might not work unless you turn off the exclusive mode. Follow these steps in order to turn off the exclusive mode and get rid of the discord mic not working issue.
- Right-click on the Start menu and select the Settings option from the context list
- On the Settings window, select the System settings option
- Now, single-click on the Sound tab present on the left-side panel to select it.
- On the right-hand side, scroll down. And then under the “Related Settings” heading, click on the Sound Control Panel button.
- A new window will appear, select the Recordings tab from the top. Then, right-click on the Microphone option and select the Properties option from the list.
- Go to the Advanced option and uncheck the box next to “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device”.
Once the process is complete, check if the mic not working on the Discord issue is resolved.
Also know: How to Fix Logitech G Pro X Microphone Not Working?
Solution4: Update Microphone Driver To Drive Away Discord Not Detecting Mic Error
Many IT experts recommend that Windows users should keep their drivers up to date. The latest drivers will help your computer to have better compatibility with the devices it is connected to. Drivers also help in improving your computer’s processing speed. If you have updated drivers there is less chance you will face issues like the mic not working discord.
There are majorly two ways through which you can update your microphone driver. The first way is to use the Windows tools and update the driver manually, which needs some skills and time. However, the second way is more of an automated process, where you can update all your drivers with a single click. To do so you need to download and install a driver updater software, and it will also help you with the discord not detecting mic error.
Update Microphone Driver Using Manual Method
Below are some steps that will help you update the microphone driver using the Device Manager tool. This is a Windows-integrated tool that allows users to control all kinds of drivers. Check out the steps below to update the driver and fix the mic not working Discord error.
- Click on the Start menu, then type the Control Panel in the search bar and press the Enter key
- Change the icon’s design by clicking on the “View by” dropdown menu and selecting the Large icons option.
- Single-click on the Device Manager tool to open a new window
- Then, click twice on the Audio inputs and outputs option to expand it. Over there, a list of devices will be shown to you.
- Right-click on the Microphone Array driver and select the Update driver option from the context list
- A new pop-up window will open, click once on the “Search automatically for drivers” option
- Wait for a few moments till your computer searches for the new microphone driver. Then, follow the on-screen instructions in order to install the new driver.
After completing the process, Restart your computer. And check if the mic not working on the Discord issue is resolved. If you feel the manual method is not a bit complex for you, then we would recommend you go for the automated process shared below.
Update Microphone Driver Automatically
This is an automatic method in which you need to download a secure and reliable driver updater software like the Bit Driver Updater. After downloading the app, just install it and with just a single click it will automatically update all your drivers togetherly. Updating drivers with the help of this software will also help you resolve the mic not working on the Discord issue. Bit Driver Updater software comes with various types of functionalities that will help your PC in different ways. Here are some of the benefits of using this app on your computer:
- Update all drivers togetherly with a single click
- Improve your computer’s processing speed
- Schedule the driver downloading and installation process
- Downloads the best quality WHQL-certified drivers only
- Provides easy access to all your drivers
Now, it is time to take a look at the directory steps. These will help you download, install and use the Bit Driver Updater app in order to fix the mic not working on Discord.
- Click Here to Download the Bit Driver Updater
- Go to the downloads folder and run the setup file.
- Then, follow the on-screen instructions to install the app on your computer
- Now, launch the app
- On the Bit Driver Updater app window, click on the Scan Drivers button present in the middle of the screen. This will allow the applications to scan your computer completely in search of faulty, missing, outdated, and corrupted drivers.
- Once the installation process is complete, either click on the Update Now button in front of the Microphone driver or click on the Update All button and update all the drivers at once.
After downloading or updating the drivers, Restart your computer. This process will fix your mic not working on the Discord issue automatically.
Resolved: Discord Mic Not Working Windows 10 Issue
We hope the solutions mentioned above have helped you to resolve the Discord mic not working error. If in case you are still facing the same problem, then either contact Discord Support or Windows Support. They will provide you with some professional advice.
You can also try reinstalling the Discord app because some corrupted files can also cause this trouble. Other than that, if you have any queries or questions regarding this write-up, then share them in the comments box below.
Author: Snehil Masih
Snehil Masih is a professional technical writer. He is passionate about new & emerging technology and he keeps abreast with the latest technology trends. When not writing, Snehil is likely to be found listening to music, painting, traveling, or simply excavating into his favourite cuisines.