When your WiFi fails to provide internet connectivity, your phone’s internet can be your savior. The USB Tethering service enables users to connect PCs with cellular data. The connection is fast and has a USB cable for connection. In the middle of smooth connections, some users also reported USB Tethering not working in Windows. If you are also here in the search of solutions, this is the right place.
The write-up below explains solutions to fix USB tethering not working on Windows 10, 11, or older version devices. But before we proceed with the solutions we must find out the possible reasons that can lead to this error.
Why is your USB Tethering Not Working?
Reportedly the following are the Common Driver Problems that lead to USB Tethering not working in Windows error.
- Multiple devices connected to one network
- The USB cable is defective
- The USB port is corrupted
- Corrupt, missing, or outdated USB and WiFi drivers
- A firewall or Antivirus is blocking the connection
- Tethering is not enabled on your devices
- Access Point’s Bluetooth is Turned off
- Mobile Data limit exceeded
- APN Settings are not configured properly
Although the issue of USB tethering Android not working can be irritating, all the reasons behind can be addressed. Read the tutorial below to resolve the error completely on Windows devices.
Methods to Fix USB Tethering Not Working in Windows 10, 8, or 7:
Given below are the methods that can be followed to resolve USB tethering not working on Windows devices.
Before you dive into these methods check the USB cable, re-connect your device or try connecting it through a different USB port. Restart your PC to fix temporary glitches if any.
Once these basic troubleshooting steps are applied proceed with further fixes to fix the issue of USB Tethering not working
Solution 1: Turn off WiFi on your Phone
Wireless Connection when turned on can lead to USB tethering, not an Android working issue. Therefore turn off the WiFi and check if this fixes the error. Here is how to turn off WiFi on your device
- Open the Settings of your Android or Apple device.
- Click on the WiFi option to expand.
- slide the toggle to turn off WiFi on your device.
Check if this fixes the USB tethering not working Windows 10 issue. If the issue remains, try the next solution.
Also read: How to Download & Update MTP USB Device Driver for Windows 10,11
Solution 2: Update Drivers
If your WiFi or Bluetooth drivers are outdated, missing, or corrupted the USB tethering not working issue can occur. As the recent driver updates help in communicating with Operating systems and fixing system bugs it is important to download them.
There are manual and automatic methods to download your system drivers. However, the manual method requires technical skills. Also, you must have enough time to find compatible drivers and download them. Therefore, if you ask us for an easier option we would recommend using an automatic driver updater to update drivers automatically.
Use Bit Driver Updater to Automatically Update Drivers:
The Bit Driver Updater tool can automate driver updates. If you don’t have time you can also schedule these updates at your convenience. Also, it restores and backs up driver data. All the driver updates are WHQL certified and hence are totally reliable. Apart from updates, the overall performance of your PC is also improved. If you plan to switch to the Pro version that comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee you can also get technical assistance from the support team around the clock.
Download the software below. Install the tool with the help of instructions on your desktop screen.
Once the tool is installed move ahead with the following steps to update drivers and fix the USB Tethering not working issue.
- Launch the tool and begin scanning for outdated drivers. Wait for the command to process and display the result.
- Click on the Update All option at the end of the screen to download the entire list of updates. If you have the Free version tool find the WiFi and Bluetooth drivers from the list and update them individually with their respective Update Now buttons.
- Install the Bluetooth Drivers and WiFi drivers by double-clicking on the driver updates and applying the instructions on your screen.
To apply updates Restart the PC. Now check if the USB Tethering not working issue is fixed. If the problem remains, try the next solution.
Solution 3: Launch Windows Troubleshooter
If the USB tethering issue is not associated with your drivers, try an inbuilt troubleshooter on your Windows device. Windows has specific troubleshooters to address issues associated with specific devices. Here is how to run these troubleshooters to fix USB tethering not working Windows 10 error.
- Click right on the Windows icon on the Taskbar. Open the Microsoft Windows Settings.
- Click on the Update and Security category to expand it.
- In the Troubleshoot tab in your left panel choose the relevant device and press the Run the Troubleshooter option present under it.
Wait till the Windows device identifies the error and fixes it automatically. Once done, check if USB Driver tethering works fine. If the issue of USB tethering not working Windows 10 error persists, move ahead to the next solution.
Solution 4: Check Tethering Option
If the Tethering option is not enabled on your device the USB tethering not working issue can occur. Here is how to enable these settings on your Mobile.
- Open the Phone’s Settings and expand the option Wireless & Networks.
- Turn on the toggle for the Portable hotspot. Check options similar to this if you are unable to find the exact option.
Now connect to the internet to check if this fixes the USB tethering not working Windows 10 issue.
USB Tethering Not Working in Windows: FIXED
With the aforementioned solutions, you can easily connect a tethering hotspot to your Windows device and use internet services. Follow the format of solutions to fix the USB tethering issue quickly on your Windows device. Make sure the network drivers are up to date on your device. Use Bit Driver Updater to download Network adapter drivers and other system driver updates automatically with a single click.
If you know any other method apart from the ones mentioned in the list to solve the USB tethering not working issue, do let us know in the comments. However, if these methods worked for you don’t forget to subscribe to our blog for regular updates on technology-related guides. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter to never miss out on any tech news and updates.
Author: Snehil Masih
Snehil Masih is a professional technical writer. He is passionate about new & emerging technology and he keeps abreast with the latest technology trends. When not writing, Snehil is likely to be found listening to music, painting, traveling, or simply excavating into his favourite cuisines.