Read on to know the easiest and most effective approaches to download MTP USB device driver on Windows 11,10, 8, and 7.
If you just tried connecting a mobile device to your computer and the device doesn’t successfully connect with your Windows PC, then possibly there is an issue with the MTP USB device driver of your computer.
MTP stands for Media Transfer Protocol and as the name suggests, the MTP USB device driver is responsible for supporting the data exchange process between the Android device and the computer.
Many Windows users come across an error message, “MTP USB Device Failed,” while exchanging data between their phone and computers. When this error occurs, then the best available solution is download and update MTP USB device driver for Windows 11, 10, 8, and 7 systems.
If you are wondering how MTP USB device driver download is possible, then let’s explore more about it through this blog.
MTP USB Device Driver Download, Update & Installation Methods
Try the below solutions to download, install, as well as update the MTP USB driver in your Windows computer.
Method 1. Update Windows 10/11 MTP Drivers Manually
Under the manual method header, we will cover three methods via; downloading the MTP USB device driver via Windows Update service manufacturer’s site and Device Manager tool. Now, let’s look at each method in detail below.
Note: Updating the MTP USB device driver from time to time also helps you fix MTP USB device driver failed error on Windows PC.
A.) Download MTP USB Driver Via Windows Update
To carry out the download and installation process of the MTP USB device driver on Windows 11/10 with the help of the built-in Windows Update service, you can utilize the below steps:
1. From the Start menu of the Windows PC, select the Settings app.
2. As the Settings window pops open on the computer screen, click on the Update & Security section.
3. From the left panel, click on the Windows Update option.
4. Finally, on the main screen, hit the Check for Updates button.
5. Windows will download and install the latest update of the MTP USB driver on your computer.
6. Finish the installation process by restarting the PC or laptop once.
B.) Download MTP USB Driver from Manufacturer’s Website
This is an old and tedious process of downloading the required MTP USB driver update on your computer but if you want to obtain the MTP USB driver software directly from the manufacturer’s website, then you can opt for this method.
You will have to visit the PC manufacturer’s web page, search for the relevant MTP USB driver as per the Windows OS version you have and then download the driver package on your computer.
After this, you can double click the .exe file to run and install it on your system. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation of the MTP USB driver Windows 10, 11, 8, 7.
C). Install MTP USB Device Driver via Device Manager
Windows Device Manager tool is another effective option that you can use to manually update or download MTP USB device drivers on Windows PCs. Below are the steps to do the same.
- On your taskbar, right-click the Windows icon (Start menu) and select Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager, expand the section of Portable devices by clicking on it.
- Now, right-click on your MTP USB device and select Update driver from the options present on your screen.
- On the next screen, click Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Lastly, follow the on-screen instructions to install the latest MTP driver for Windows 11 64-bit and older versions.
Method 2. Automatic Method Supported by Bit Driver Updater
As we have already mentioned above, the Bit Driver Updater offers an easy, quick, and simple solution to download and install the MTP USB device driver along with other drivers of your system.
It can also update the system drivers constantly over a long period of time to ensure that the Windows system is free from driver-related problems. Here’s how you can install and update the MTP USB device driver Windows 10 64-bit:
1. Install the Bit Driver Updater on your computer by running the downloaded file.
2. Launch the program and click on the Scan button.
3. Once the scan finishes, it will show you a list of bad, missing, or old driver programs.
4. Click on the Update All button to initiate the process of downloading and updating the detected faulty drivers.
5. Finally, reboot the system to successfully install the MTP USB device driver for Windows 11, 10, or older versions.
MTP USB Device: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What is a MTP USB device?
MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) USB device enables you to transfer media files between your computer and portable devices, such as memory cards, smartphones, etc.
Q2. How to access MTP USB device?
Follow the steps shared below to access the MTP USB device on Android:
- First, connect your mobile phone (Android) to your computer via a USB cable.
- Now swipe down from the top of the display to access the notification panel.
- Make sure the USB connection is set to “media device.”
- If not, tap on the notification and set the USB Mode to MTP – Media Transfer Protocol (File transfers).
Q3. How do I install MTP device driver?
The simplest yet most effective way to download and install MTP USB device driver is by using a dedicated and automatic software, such as Bit Driver Updater.
However, if you like to do it manually, you need to use the Device Manager or look for the right MTP driver on the manufacturer’s website and download and install it step by step.
Q4. How to fix MTP USB device driver problem in Windows 10?
You may run into MTP USB device driver failed, MTP not working, or other similar problems if the driver is outdated, missing, or broken. Thus, in order to resolve it, you can try to update or install the latest MTP driver for Windows 10.
Q5. How do I enable MTP in Windows 10?
The Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) is a part of the “Windows Media” framework – meaning you don’t have to manually enable the MTP mode in your PC. You just need to make sure you have the up-to-date version of the MTP USB driver for Windows 10 installed.
Q6. Why did the MTP USB device driver fail to install?
The issue usually occurs when you try to connect your device to your PC using a USB cable. That means the PC was unable to successfully set up a connection with the preferred device, and eventually results in the MTP USB device driver failed to install’ error. When this error occurs, a pop-up window appears saying, “Device driver software was not successfully installed. Please consult with your device manufacturer for assistance getting this device installed”.
Q7. How to Fix MTP USB Device Driver Failed Problem?
You can try the following solutions to fix the MTP USB device failed problem in Windows 11, 10, 8, and 7.
Q8. How to Fix the MTP USB Device Driver Problem in Windows 7?
In Windows 7, if you are using outdated MTP USB drivers, then you may run into this problem. Therefore, to resolve this issue, you can check if the respective drivers are up to date. Updating the MTP USB device driver for Windows ensures the consistent performance of the device.
Q9. Why is USB transfer not working?
Here are some common reasons why you are unable to use the USB transfer:
- Your Android tablet or phone is restricting you from sending or receiving files.
- The USB cable you are using to link the two devices is broken or not working properly. So, try another port or a different cable to make sure.
- Outdated drivers or OS versions are one of the most common reasons why the USB transfer is not working.
Q10. How do I manually install MTP USB drivers?
In order to install the MTP USB drivers on your computer, follow the steps below:
- Open the Device Manager tool
- Expand the Portable devices option
- Right-click on the MTP USB Device and choose the Update driver option
- Now, go with the “search automatically for drivers” option
- Then, go along with the steps shown on your screen to install the drivers.
And that’s it, this is how you can install the MTP USB driver manually.
MTP USB Device Driver Download: Done Successfully
This is how you can download and update the MTP USB device driver on Windows 11, 10, 8, and 7. Doing so will ensure the smooth transfer of data from your Android smartphone to your computer via a data cable and vice-versa.
If you are experiencing any issue with above-suggested methods, then let us know in the comments box below and we would get back to you with a solution quickly.
Snehil Masih is a professional technical writer. He is passionate about new & emerging technology and he keeps abreast with the latest technology trends. When not writing, Snehil is likely to be found listening to music, painting, traveling, or simply excavating into his favourite cuisines.