Is OBS not recording desktop audio/mic audio? If yes, you should read this article with the utmost focus to know the 9 tried and tested solutions to this problem.
OBS brought top-notch surround sound recording and streaming, a feature that was earlier available exclusively on professional broadcast devices, to your PC. However, to your utter disappointment, you found yourself stuck in a situation where OBS is not recording audio.
Well, we understand that it can be highly irritating if the OBS is not recording desktop audio. However, now that you have come across this article, you may put all your worries aside.
Through this piece of writing, we introduce you to the best fixes to OBS Studio not recording audio issues. But before we jump to troubleshoot the issue, let us learn why it occurred.
Solving a problem becomes duck soup if you understand what might have triggered it. Hence, let us take a look at the probable reasons OBS is not recording desktop audio.
Causes of OBS Not Recording Audio Problem
The following may be the reasons for OBS, not recording game audio.
- Out-of-date audio driver
- Incorrectly configured audio settings
- Presence of other conflicting software
- Application muted mistakenly
- Issues with OBS track settings
- Incorrect encoding settings
Above, we listed the top reasons you may experience OBS not recording desktop audio or mic audio issues. Let us now walk you through the quickest and most effective fixes to the problems you are experiencing.
Quick and Easy Fixes to OBS Not Recording Audio Problems
Below are some easy, quick, and effective solutions to the situation where OBS is not recording audio for desktop and mic.
Fix 1: Unmute the application
Mistakenly muting OBS may be a reason it is not recording audio. Hence, a simple hack like checking and unmuting the app may solve your problem. You may follow these step-by-step instructions to do it.
- Right-click the speaker icon located on the taskbar.
- Use the context menu to open Volume Mixer.
- Click on the OBS application’s speaker icon to unmute it.
- Now, check whether OBS Studio not recording audio issues are fixed or not.
Fix 2: Try reinstalling OBS
Random bugs or errors in the OBS installation process may have resulted in the OBS not recording desktop audio issues. Therefore, reinstalling the application may fix the problem for you. Here is the way to do it.
- Right-click the Start icon present on the taskbar.
- Choose Apps and Features from the option you get on the screen.
- Click on OBS and select the option to Uninstall it.
- Confirm your desire to proceed with the uninstallation.
- After uninstalling the application, reinstall OBS from the official website.
- Once you have reinstalled the application, check whether the problem has disappeared or OBS not recording mic audio or the desktop audio issue persists.
Also know: AMD High Definition Audio Device Drivers Download for Windows 10, 8, 7
Fix 3: Update the audio driver on your computer (Recommended)
Out of all the factors that may have contributed to the OBS not recording audio and other problems, outdated drivers are the top ones. Hence, updating the driver can not only fix this but many other issues.
You may update the driver without any hassles and in a fraction of a second with a reliable software called Bit Driver Updater. The Bit Driver Updater software boasts automatic one-click driver update functionality and many other fantastic features.
For instance, Bit Driver Updater comes equipped with tools like driver backup and restore, scan scheduler, driver download speed accelerator, and a lot more.
You may select the link below to download this highly-useful program and install it on your computer.
Once installed, Bit Driver Updater automatically runs a scan to display all the outdated drivers plaguing your system. If you wish, you may stop the automatic scan and use the Scan function to manually begin the scanning process. However, automatic scans are recommended to save time and effort.
After the scan is completed (it only takes two to three seconds), you may choose the Update All option to get rid of all the outdated drivers in an instant.
The Update Now tool is also available if you wish to update only the sound driver. However, tech experts feel updating all drivers is a better choice to get maximum performance from your computer.
Fix 4: Try running OBS as an administrator
Running an application with administrative rights provides it with more resources to function smoothly. Hence, you may run OBS as an administrator so that it gets better access to all the computer resources and issues like the OBS not recording mic audio or desktop sound disappear. Below is the process you may follow to run OBS with administrative powers.
- Search OBS on your computer.
- Right-click OBS Studio and select the Run as administrator option.
- Check whether you still experience the OBS not recording audio problems or if the issues are gone for good.
Fix 5: Check your computer’s sound settings
Incorrectly configured headset or speaker settings are also a reason the OBS is not recording desktop audio. Therefore, you may follow these directions to check and correct the audio settings.
- Search for and open your computer’s Control Panel.
- Change the view option to Small icons and select Sound from the options visible in the Control Panel.
- Right-click in the empty space and choose the option to Show Disabled Devices.
- Now, select your audio device and choose the Set Default option.
- Select the audio device again and navigate to its Properties.
- Go to the Levels option present in the top menu and drag the volume slider to increase to make the sound more audible.
- Select Advanced from the menu bar and uncheck the Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device option.
- Confirm the changed settings using the Apply and OK buttons.
- Return to the Playback tab, choose your headphone/speaker, and select the Configure option.
- Select Stereo from the list of Audio Channels.
- Now, check if the problem is solved or still OBS not recording mic audio issues persist.
Also know: How To Fix Warzone Mic/Voice Chat Not Working On Windows PC
Fix 6: Check OBS’s audio settings
Incorrectly configured audio settings in the OBS application may also lead to the OBS Studio not recording game audio problems. Therefore, you may follow the below-given steps to check and correct the OBS audio settings.
- Launch the OBS application on your computer.
- Select File and choose Settings from the menu that drops down on your screen.
- Choose Audio from the left panel.
- Select Channels from the right pane.
- Set the channels to Stereo.
- Go to the Desktop Audio Device tab and choose the device you think OBS should use. If needed, perform the same step for the microphone/another auxiliary device menu.
- Apply all the above changes and start OBS again to see if the OBS not recording desktop audio issue is fixed or not.
Fix 7: Check and correct the OBS track settings
Selecting multiple tracks or saving audio and video of a clip to different locations may lead to the OBS not recording audio issues. Therefore, you may check the OBS audio tracking settings and fix them using these steps to drive the problems away.
- Open the OBS application and go to the Settings option.
- Go to the Files option and select Output from the menu at the left.
- View the Recordings to make sure that you chose the same recording tracks.
- Check whether you got rid of the OBS not recording desktop audio problems or not.
Fix 8: Eliminate conflicting programs
Some programs like Nahimic are known to interfere with the OBS’s functioning and result in the OBS not recording mic audio or desktop sound issues. Hence, uninstalling such programs is a good idea to fix the OBS problems. The following steps explain how to do it in the best possible way.
- Firstly, apply the Windows+X hotkey to enter the Quick Access menu.
- Select the option called Apps and Features from the menu available on the screen.
- Select a conflicting program, such as Nahimic, and choose the option to Uninstall it.
Fix 9: Change the encoding settings
Improper OBS encoding settings are also reasons for OBS not recording the desktop audio. Therefore, changing the encoding settings may help you resolve the problems you are trying to fix. The following are the steps to change the encoding settings.
- Firstly, launch OBS and choose the File option.
- Pick Output from the left section and change the Bitrate to 128.
- Input 3500 in the given box.
- Deselect the option to Use CBR.
- Apply the above changes and select OK.
- Close the application and start OBS again to apply the new settings.
OBS Not Recording Audio Problem Solved
This article helped you get rid of one of the most frustrating problems, i.e., OBS not recording desktop or mic audio. You may begin with the first solution and then keep moving down the list of solutions until you stop experiencing audio problems with OBS.
If you think trying all the fixes involves a lot of time and effort, you may choose to perform driver updates with Bit Driver Updater to drive the problems away instantly.
In case you are still left with any questions or confusion about this post, you may use the comments section to get further assistance from us.
Author: Snehil Masih
Snehil Masih is a professional technical writer. He is passionate about new & emerging technology and he keeps abreast with the latest technology trends. When not writing, Snehil is likely to be found listening to music, painting, traveling, or simply excavating into his favourite cuisines.
опрессовка системы теплоснабженияFeb 14, 2023 at 1:06 pm
Good post. I absolutely appreciate this website.
Keep it up!