If you are facing the number keys not working on your Windows 10 PC, then this article will help you with different methods to fix this issue within minutes.
The best way to insert digits onto your computer is through a keyboard. Nothing can beat the comfort, practicality, and ease of use of the numeric keypad that is on all standard computer keyboards. Almost everyone who uses a computer prefers to type numbers using the numeric keypad instead of the row of numbers above the letters on a QWERTY keyboard. But some Windows 10 users are having numbers not working on keyboard problems with their computer keyboards.
There is no clear proof of what causes this problem. Some people think that Windows 10 turning off the keyboard could be the cause of this problem. While others say this is just a bug that affects a lot of Windows 10 users. Even though Windows 10 users who have had this problem have been able to fix it in different ways. Today, we’re going to talk about some of the best ways to fix the number keypad not working problem.
Solutions To Get Rid Of The Number Keys Not Working Issue On Windows 10
Below we have shared the five different solutions which you can use to fix the keyboard number pad not working problem.
Solution1: Disable Mouse Keys To Fix Number Keys Not Working On Windows 10
This is the first method in which you need to turn off the mouse keys using the Control Panel tool. For a better understanding check out the steps below and fix the keyboard numbers not working.
- Type Control Panel in the taskbar’s search bar and then press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- On the Control Panel window, click on the “View by” dropdown menu. And then, select the Category option from the context menu.
- Now, click on the Ease of Access option. Then, under the “Ease of access center” section, click on the “Change how your keyboard works” button.
- Uncheck the box next to “Turn on Mouse Keys”.
Once the process is finished, open notepad or a file to test out if the numbers on keyboard not working problem is resolved. If not, move on to the next method.
Solution2: Update Windows Operating System To Resolve Number Keys Not Working
Sometimes, not having the latest Windows OS might mess up the connected devices. Hence, it is necessary to always keep your Windows updated to avoid bugs, glitches, or errors like can’t type numbers on keyboard.
You can perform the updation process from the Windows settings menu. Moreover, with the help of the steps mentioned below, you will be able to use and update your Windows OS and fix the number keypad not working issue.
- Type Settings in the taskbar’s search bar and then hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
- On the Settings window, go to the Update & Security settings by clicking on its icon.
- Now, select the Windows Update tab from the left-hand side panel. Then, on the right-side panel, click on the Check for updates button.
- Wait for some time till your computer searches for the latest OS version available online. Then, click on the Download and install button and it will start the process.
After downloading the new Windows, restart your computer and it will install the new OS on its own. Check if performing this process has helped you solve the numbers not working on keyboard problem. If not, then it is time to update your keyboard drivers.
Solution3: Fix Number Keys Not Working By Updating Keyboard Drivers
Keeping your Windows drivers updated will help your computer improve compatibility with connected devices and fix issues like the number keypad not working. It will also help your device to enhance its overall performance.
There are various methods through which you can update the drivers on your PC. Today, we are going to talk about the most reliable, safest, and easiest way to resolve numbers not working on keyboard by updating the drivers.
This is an automatic process in which you need to download and install the best driver updater software. There are thousands of such software available online but we would recommend you go with the Bit Driver Updater app. This app is specially made for Windows devices and is trusted by thousands of users. Some additional advantages of using the Bit Driver Update app on your PC are:
- Improves computer’s overall performance
- Enhances compatibility between computers and devices
- Creates a backup before updating the drivers
- Allows you to schedule the driver download process
- 24*7 customer assistance
Steps to fix number keys not working using the Bit Driver Updater
Now, it’s time to look at the steps with which you can download, install, and use this app in order to resolve the number keypad not working problem.
- Click on the Download button given below to download the Bit Driver Updater on your Windows device:
- After installing the program on your computer, go to the downloads folder and double-click on the setup file. And follow the on-screen instructions to install the app on your computer. After the installation is complete, run the program.
- On the Bit Driver Updater home page, either click on the Scan Drivers button or the Scan tab (on the left-side panel) to allow it to look for broken, outdated, corrupted keyboard drivers.
- Once the scanning process is completed, click on the Update all button to update all the drivers on your PC at once. If you only want to update your keyboard drivers, then click on the Update Now button in front of the Keyboard Driver.
When the update process is finished, Restart your computer. And it will automatically replace the old keyboard driver with the new one. Check whether the number keypad not working issue is gone. If not, then now it is time to run the Windows troubleshooter.
Solution4: Run The Windows Troubleshooter And Fix Number Keys Not Working
If you are one of the users who are still facing the numbers not working on keyboard, then you can try performing the troubleshooting process. For this method, you need to take help from one of the Windows-integrated utilities called the Troubleshooter.
You can easily access this tool from Windows Settings and it will find and fix the issue for you. Below are some steps that will help you use Windows Troubleshooter in order to get rid of the keyboard number pad not working problem.
- Type Settings in the taskbar’s search bar and then press the Enter key on your keyboard
- On the Settings window, click on the Update & Security option
- Now, select the Windows troubleshooter tab present on the left-side panel. Then, under the “Recommended troubleshooters” heading on the right-side panel, click on the Additional troubleshooter button.
- Under the Find and fix other problems heading, click on the Keyboards option to expand it. Then, click on the “Run the Troubleshooter” button and it will start the process.
When the process is finished, Restart your computer and it will solve your number keys not working issue.
Resolved: How To Fix Number Keys Not Working Problem On Windows 10/11 PC
We hope the different solutions that we have shared in this blog were able to resolve your number keys not working issue on your Windows device. If in case, you are this issue is still troubling you, then there might be a chance that your keyboard is physically damaged.
To check that, either connect the keyboard to a different computer or try connecting a new keyboard to your computer. If there is a hardware issue with your keyboard, take it to the nearest repair store or purchase a replacement. Other than that, share your thoughts regarding this “number keypad not working” problem-fixing write-up in the comments section. We would love to hear from you.
Snehil Masih is a professional technical writer. He is passionate about new & emerging technology and he keeps abreast with the latest technology trends. When not writing, Snehil is likely to be found listening to music, painting, traveling, or simply excavating into his favourite cuisines.