The Oculus Controllers are truly amazing. These controllers capture your movements while you play games or engage in other activities and transfer them to the virtual world.
However, recently, many users have come across Oculus controllers not working properly issue. Also, some users have complained that their Oculus controller is not connecting.
Do you also have the same question in your head – Why is my Oculus controller not working? Then don’t worry, this article will help you with some proven effective solutions to fix it.
Before we dive into the solutions let us understand the possible causes behind the Oculus Quest controller not working.
Reasons: Why is My Oculus Controller Not Working?
Following are some of the possible reasons that can lead to the Oculus controller not connecting issue.
- Issues with the batteries can lead to this problem. If the batteries of your controller are low, they might not provide enough power for the controllers to connect.
- Outdated software or drivers are one such potential reason to cause the Oculus Quest controller not working issue. Outdated firmware may create interruptions in the controller’s working.
- Faulty connections. If the connection between your controller and headset is faulty or damaged due to any reason, it can lead to this problem.
- Damaged hardware components. If any of your hardware components are damaged, be it a headset or controller, can cause this error.
So, now as you have understood the primary causes behind the “Oculus controller not working” problem, let us move ahead with the easy solutions to fix it.
Methods to Fix Oculus Controller Not Working Issue
Below are some of the possible workarounds to solve your Oculus controller not connecting error easily and quickly.
Method 1: Replace the old batteries
The Oculus controller probably won’t function if the battery life is exhausted. Hence, firstly, you should try to replace the old or discharged batteries with new ones. Normally, AA batteries are required for the Oculus controller. You should first remove the old batteries before using the new ones. From the top, push the section where you hold the controller downward. This will open the battery compartment. Replace the old batteries with the new ones. Now, try to use the Oculus Controller again. It should probably solve your Oculus controller not working problem. If not, then continue to the next troubleshooting step.
Method 2: Unpair and pair the controllers again
The connectivity issues between your controller and the headset can also lead to the Oculus controller not working issue. To solve this, you should try to unpair the controller and pair it again. For this fix, you will need the Oculus application. Follow the below instructions to perform this solution.
- Open the Oculus application on your device.
- Now, in the bottom right corner, click on the three-bar icon. This will open up the menu tab.
- Here, tap on the Devices option. Scroll through the list and select the Controllers option.
- Now, choose your controller. Hit the Unpair button.
- Wait for a few seconds and restart your Oculus application. Now, again move to the Controllers section and hit the Pair button.
This should solve your problem easily. If you are still facing the Oculus controller not connecting issue, then read ahead to find more solutions.
Method 3: Restart your headset to fix the Oculus controllers not working
Another quick potential solution for this problem is to restart your headset. Follow the steps given below to perform this fix.
- Locate the power button on the right side of your headset.
- Hold down the power button for ten seconds. This will shut the headset OFF.
- Wait for a minute or two. Now, hold down the power button again to turn the headset ON.
This might help you fix the Oculus Quest controller not working issue handily. If not, then try more solutions listed below.
Method 4: Update the drivers.
Drivers are responsible for the proper and efficient working of all the hardware devices on your system. If your system contains outdated or corrupted drivers, then it might lead to the Oculus controller not working properly error.
Hence, it is always advisable to keep your drivers up-to-date. They will make sure that your hardware device is giving desired outputs. how to update drivers, you may either go for the manual method or the automatic one.
In the manual method, you would require to visit the support page of Oculus and download the latest version of drivers compatible with your OS. Then, perform the installation process step-by-step as it instructs.
To automate this manual process, you will need to download and install the best and most reliable driver updater tool. Bit Driver Updater is one such reliable and most recommended driver updater program you can use.
This application can update all the drivers of your system automatically with just a single click and solve your Oculus Quest controller not working issue quickly. Below are some of the advantages of using the Bit Driver Updater.
- Enhances the system’s overall performance.
- Downloads and Installs WHQL-certified drivers only.
- Helps in repairing all corrupted, faulty, and outdated drivers.
- Provides 24/7 support service.
Automatic Method: Steps to Install and Use the Bit Driver Updater
Follow the below-given steps to update drivers to fix the Oculus controller not working issue.
- Click on the link below to download the Bit Driver Updater on your system.
- Once the download process is complete, move to the Downloads folder on your system. Choose the setup file and run it.
- Follow all the on-screen instructions and let the installation process complete successfully. Now, launch the application.
- Hit the Scan drivers option on the main page. This will instruct the software to scan all the drivers present on your system. After the scanning process is complete, a list of drivers will be displayed.
- Now, either click on the Update now button next to Oculus drivers or hit the Update all button to update all the drivers in one go.
Restart your computer after the installation procedure is finished. This will effectively solve the Oculus controller not working problem.
Also Read: [FIXED] PS4 Controller Not Connecting to PC
Method 5: Perform a factory reset of your Oculus headset
If none of the above methods helped you to solve your “Why is my Oculus controller not working?” query, then performing the factory reset would be the best bet.
Remember that, doing a complete reset would erase all the linked data and you might need to re-link your headset with Meta. However, you won’t lose anything that you have purchased on your app account.
You can reset your headset in two possible ways:
Using the Oculus application
Follow the below steps to do so.
- Launch the Oculus application on your device.
- Go to the Devices section. Select the headset you wish to reset.
- Now, choose the Advanced Settings option. Select the Factory Reset option.
- Hit the Reset button.
Steps to perform the reset manually
Follow the instructions given below to do a headset factory reset.
- Power OFF your headset. Now, press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons together.
- A menu of options will appear. Move to the Factory Reset option using the Volume buttons.
- Now, press the Power button to select the choice and then choose the “Yes” option.
- Hit the Power button once again to ON the headset.
If you still face the Oculus Quest controller not working issue, then you should contact Oculus support for help. They might help you in solving this issue as well as errors like the Oculus link Not Working.
Fixed: Oculus Controller Not Working
That’s it! We have solved your query – “ Why is my Oculus controller not working?” using all the above-mentioned effective methods. We hope you found this troubleshooting guide helpful and easy to follow.
If you face any more problems while fixing the Oculus controller not connecting issue, then feel free to contact us in the comments section below.
Snehil Masih is a professional technical writer. He is passionate about new & emerging technology and he keeps abreast with the latest technology trends. When not writing, Snehil is likely to be found listening to music, painting, traveling, or simply excavating into his favourite cuisines.